28 June 2011

Sea kayaking on becoming National Park on Bothnian Sea, Finland

June 2011

Spent midsummer weekend on the west coast of Finland. Weather stayed pretty good, lots of sunshine, low wind but some showers almost everyday. Temperature didn't raise above +20C but stayed close to it.

Did a day trip paddling on Luvia municipal's archipelago, 36km altogether. Shores and islands near the coast were absolutely full of summer cottages. Didn't enjoy them so much, built too full.  However, the main idea for paddling there was to see part of a new, becoming national park, to be called "Selkämeren kansallispuisto", that should be established this or next year (fingers crossing not enough though). The park will start south from Turku (Kustavi to be exact) and finish north to Merikarvia, containing altogether some 160km of coastline's archipelago within Bothnian Sea.

Few words about local area; Luvia is a small coastline municipal, with some 5K people. The sea seems to be an inspiring thing for locals. However, looking at some history books, this tiny sleepy village was famous on 19th century from two reasons:

  • manufacturing of church bells by Mickel Rostedt. He did cast e.g. church bells for Turku Cathedral
  • manufacturing of wooden sail boats, sizes from little Scyllas to big Fricates, Shooners being probably most famous model. They are mentioned e.g. in Volter Kilpi's novel Alastalon Salissa.  This practice was woken up again by voluntary work as a single instance, where local people built a beautiful Galleass called Ihana. I admire such a handcraft very much

The word "manufacturing" may not describe production of things two hundred years ago, but hopefully you've got the point.

Back to paddling; islands after a group of Haavanen islands became more rural and rocky. That meant more beautiful to me. A group of Maskali islands were extremely beautiful; rocks, stones, common juniper trees and common sea-buckthorn bushes inhabited islands. Also there were basically no summer cottages anymore, just few small fishing huts, maybe a hut per 10 islands. Water was clear there some 10km out from the coast, one could easily see three meters deep. Near the coast visibility was less than a meter deep.

This region is famous of common sea-buckthorn bushes which grow in outmost islands. They grow in very tough conditions, bringing some sauer berries which contain huge amount of vitamin C.

Had a break on a tiny rocky island, which had a funny name, called "Hoppostenkloppi". Not trying to translate it. Then continued to north west towards most interesting area, as it contained lost of small rocky islands (I'm repeating now) close to each other. Few of them had small fishing huts. Nothing can be built now to this area due to preparations of the national park.  Variety of birds was rich.

After circling small islands, saw a few lightning hitting on the coast. It was time to return. Almost immediately after that, sun got hidden behind clouds and it started to rain. Rain is usually not a problem while paddling. At this time I was more afraid lightning to come closer and to bring sudden strong wind in gusts. That never happened, thunderstorm stayed on land. Rain continue till the end. Return was a bit boring due to numerous summer cottages built close to each other, I meant really close. Hope people enjoyed they stay at their cottages with surrounding neighbors.

After paddling the sauna was waiting. Nothing to add there.

Here's paddled route (View Larger Map, again Bing Satellite Maps from this region are better):




Galleass Ihana at harbor ...

... and off the sea with full of paying customers

Typical island near the coast; a private summer cottage

Heavy air traffic

Standing still

A typical fishing hut on a remote island

A perfect place for a lunch break

Protecting family

After these two is a coast of Sweden

Landmark

Another fishing hut













25 comments:

  1. Additional note from the blog writer: the new national park called "Bothnian Sea" is now true, it was approved a week ago and it is Finland’s largest marine national park.

    More information about the news here:
    http://www.finland.fi/public/default.aspx?contentid=223336&contentlan=2&culture=en-US

    and hopefully much more soon here, too: http://www.outdoors.fi/destinations/nationalparks/Pages/Default.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is nice post which I was awaiting for such an article and I have gained some useful information from this site. Thanks for sharing this information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sea Kayaks, glad to hear, thanks for feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Useful information shared..I am very happy to read this article. Thanks for giving us nice info. Fantastic walk-through. I appreciate this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the contents you mentioned in post is too good and can be very useful. I will keep it in mind, thanks for sharing the information keep updating, looking forward for more posts. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. The blog was absolutely fantastic! Lot of great information which can be helpful in some or the other way. Keep updating the blog, looking forward for more contents...Great job, keep it up..

    ReplyDelete
  7. The post is written in very a good manner and it entails many useful information for me. I appreciated what you have done here. I am always searching for informative information like this. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think fashion is the only thing which liked by the whole world and i think this is really a great thing about the fashion. I have seen some people who are very much crazy about the fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many thanks for the exciting blog posting! I really enjoyed reading it, you are a brilliant writer. I actually added your blog to my favorites and will look forward for more updates. Great Job, Keep it up..

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is nice post which I was awaiting for such an article and I have gained some useful information from this site. Thanks for sharing this information.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually added your blog to my favorites and will look forward for more updates. Great Job, Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful blog you have here but I was curious about if you knew of any community forums that cover the same topics talked about in this article? I’d really like to be a part of community where I can get feed-back from other experienced people that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am very much pleased with the contents you have mentioned. I enjoyed every little bit part of it. It contains truly information. I want to thank you for this informative read; I really appreciate sharing this great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanx with the work, sustain the nice perform Excellent operate, I’m likely to begin a little Website Engine training course operate employing your internet site I really hope you get pleasure from running a blog together with the well-known BlogEngine.web.Thethoughts you express are truly great. Wish you’ll correct some far more posts..

    ReplyDelete
  15. It’s an interesting approach. I commonly see unexceptional views on the subject but yours it’s written in a pretty unusual fashion. Surely, I will revisit your website for additional information.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanx with the work, sustain the nice perform Excellent operate, I’m likely to begin a little Website Engine training course operate employing your internet site I really hope you get pleasure from running a blog together with the well-known BlogEngine.web.Thethoughts you express are truly great. Wish you’ll correct some far more posts..

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is one of the most incredible blogs I’ve read in a very long time. The amount of information in here is stunning, like you practically wrote the book on the subject. Your blog is great for anyone who wants to understand this subject more. Great stuff; please keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I actually appreciate this post. We need extra individuals like you bringing value to the community. Can I put this post on my blog? I’d give you credit and link back of course.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I appreciate when I see well writen material. Your time isn’t going to waste with your posts. Thanks so much and stick with it No doubt you will defintely reach your goals! have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The post is written in very a good manner and it entails many useful information for me. I appreciated what you have done here. I am always searching for informative information like this. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pretty good post. I will add bookmark on your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.....

    ReplyDelete
  22. This page is very informative and fun to read. I appreciated what you have done here. I enjoyed every little bit part of it. I am always searching for informative information like this. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is nice post which I was awaiting for such an article and I have gained some useful information from this site. Thanks for sharing this information.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Enjoyed every bit of your article post.Really looking forward to read more. Really Cool.

    web Designing Services

    ReplyDelete